Ulum ul-Quran (Quranic Sciences)
The knowledge of 'Ulum al-Qu'ran, or 'The Sciences of the Qur'an', deals with the knowledge of those sciences that have a direct bearing on the recitation, history, understanding and implementation of the Qur'an. It is, therefore, a vast field of Islamic scholarship, and one that if of primary importance.
This module covers the important aspects of Quranic Sciences.
With regards to recitation, students will understand the different methodologies of reciting the Qur'an (the qira'at), the blessings of reciting the Qur'an, and the etiquette of its recitation.
With regards to the history of the Qur'an, students will learn the stages of revelation of the Qur'an, the compilation of the Qur'an, the art and history of writing the Qur'anic script (rasm al-masahif), and the preservation of the Qur'an.
And with regards to its understanding and implementation, students will learn the causes of revelation (asbab an-nuzul), the knowledge of maki and madani revelations, the knowledge of the various forms (ahruf) it was revealed in, the understanding of its abrogated rulings and verses (nasikh wal-mansukh), the knowledge of the various classifications of its verses (muhkam and mutashabih, 'am and khas, mutlaq and muqqayad, etc.) and the knowledge of its interpretation (tafsir).
Upon successful completion of this level, students will be able to:
- Better understand the Qur'an, in that he\she will be familiar with the history of its revelation and collection, and the various aspects that aids its comprehension
- Understand the development of the script of the Quran
- Realize the wealth of knowledge and insight that exists with regards to the Book of Allah
- Identify the maki and madina verses to a certain extent
- Explore the different types of tafaseer books
- Al-Madkhal Ilā ‘Ulūm al-Qur’ān al-Karīm (The Bridge to Quranic Studies) by Shaykh Ninowy (Module Code: QRN - 101)
- Introduction to the Sciences of Quran by Ahmad v. Denffer